Saturday, March 26, 2011

My legs do work!

What I discovered to be the best part of running a marathon is the self induced mandatory week off afterwards that you get to enjoy. No 4 a.m. morning runs in the ass-biting cold, no trips to the gym after a lovely day at the office to work on my "Terminator" biceps, and not having to hear my husband "the alabaster runner" complaining about how his little toes-ies are cold in vibrams. Ah.....it's been a blissful week.

Cut to this morning when I realized that my week of laziness is over and I can't shrug off my physical fitness anymore (although if Jessica Simpson can use a sliding scale of optimal fitness over the years, I should be entitled to more than a week). I was concerned about the run on many levels, the least being that I think I ordered the wrong size shoe in the latest edition of bikila vibrams and my big feet are getting claustrophobic. We needed to run an easy 2-3 "shake off the marathon blues" miles and test our legs.

The alabaster runner said that his knees were bothering him a little, which I completely believe because he was the one holding onto the leash of our insanely athletic boxer, Odie. That dog has run nine miles with us before, then afterwards will turn to us with a look that clearly reads, "That's all beeyotches? Lame." Whoever has the immense pleasure of holding onto his leash usually ends up with some aches and pains from Odie pulling ahead like he sees endless fields of bacon swaying in the wind.

I managed to run in my typical injured gazelle fashion and came away enjoying our first recovery run. As long as I keep my achilles pain at bay during my runs this week, I still plan on winning this Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in D.C. I'm cleared to take the gold on that race as long as some 9,000 other runners fail to set their iphone alarms.

I'll continue my easy runs this week and my exciting life of icing my legs, rolling out my legs, and stretching my legs. And that also means I'm trotting my butt over the L.A. Fitness and silently judging everyone who wears hoop earrings to the gym. Don't start me on a rant about hoop earring gym goers.

And I'm done - thanks for hanging around.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't "win" the lottery to get into the Cherry Blossom 10M this year. Now I guess I know who took my spot. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was mean of me to take your spot. In your memory, I'll make sure to not only get first place in this race, but somehow I'll achieve second and third place too.

    ReplyDelete