Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I want for nothing..............except some highly priced items.

I think it’s pretty well known fact that even though running in theory is free, it can actually be so expensive that I want to dig my eyes out with a spork once I add up all the costs depleting my paltry bank account. I really do try and keep my running expenses down – I only purchased a $4 lunch bag at my last race expo, I completely bypassed the $100 pain relief electro-ipod thingy that my dad fell victim to buying (sucka!). My running drawer has a minimal – yet utterly fashionable – array of choices, and I only recently replaced my bikilas after I discovered that they are not in fact, machine washable. They should tell you that kind of stuff on the label--- oh wait, something is coming back to me……they did mention that….in bold print.

My financial pitfalls have been races and the atrocious associated fees of gas, lodging, and entry fees. Here’s a bit of advice I wish someone had given me eight months ago: there is no benefit whatsoever in selecting the host hotel as my choice of lodging and it will cost me approximately a crap load more to stay there than the reasonably priced hotel down the street. Not only will it cost me more of my precious dinero to stay there, but in some cases the host hotel isn’t even near the start OR EFFING FINISH of the race (Shamrock Marathon, I’m looking at you). As a newbie runner I think I learned my lesson; have my husband make the reservations with his card, then forget where my credit card is during check out. *

As much as I try to be reasonable with my finances, there’s still some basic material necessities in running that would make my world a lot happier. As I list these items, keep in mind that there’s no need to look up the definition of the word necessity.

1. Garmin 405 – why? Because I’m frankly tired of wearing a computer on my wrist, otherwise known as the Garmin 305. I feel very outdated with this piece of plastic - I've run through Amish country roads and I know I heard chuckling from someone churning butter.

2. Nike Women's Cyclone Jacket - this jacket is so cute and functional that I would be tempted to see if the barter system could be revived and see if the website has any use for a pug. (Because I wasn't a helicopter pet parent, the only trick Hershey knows is "sit", so clerical work might be out).

3. Nathan Women's Intensity Backpack - I admit that I didn't do my fair share of lugging around the water on our longer runs during marathon training, so I would like to make up for it now with this most awesome backpack. The alabaster runner should take me up on this offer and immediately proceed to the online checkout.

I should be grateful that I have crapper cheaper versions of everything on this wishlist, certainly there are bigger bills to battle first. But I believe the ultimate question this post raises should be: Will I die without getting these items? 



Yes, yes I will.


*Set a block from allowing the husband to read blog. No sense of humor.*

1 comment:

  1. Love. Keep up the blogging. Funny as heck.

    ReplyDelete