Tuesday, July 5, 2011

So hot....

To further drain my bank account this month on running related items, I signed up for HARRC 7 km race at 7 p.m. on August 26th in Harrisburg. Odd distances like 7 km always get my attention because I relish getting a new PR without any real exertion on my part. I’m praying that a 7 p.m. race is on the cooler end of the day because the past few days of running have been dreadful. The heat has been zapping my energy, leaving me mentally and physically drained during the runs. And not that good kind of “wow, I just completed a 15 mile run with hills” drained – more like the “its so godd*** hot out here I would subject myself to a Ryan Reynolds movie just for a cool breeze” drained.

I commented to the Alabaster Runner that I’ll be happy once this insufferable heat spell is over – only to realize a moment later that this “heat spell” is actually more commonly referred to as summer and lasts for another two months. On a purely vain note, this summer is also causing some epidemic tanning issues from running; I don’t even where to begin on fixing criss-crossed tan lines. With no other options available, I’m forced to gut it out in the sun’s rays and continue taking cold showers like an athletic-ish psychopath (I vaguely remembering reading that only the most insane murderous people take cold showers, but my base of knowledge is US Magazine so I might be slightly off).    

 The only one taking the brunt of the heat worse than me is my poor double coated pug, Hershey. We took all the dogs out for a 10 minute walk yesterday and Hershey decided halfway through that she just would rather live in the cornfields than walk another step in this arduous journey. She plopped down on the soil and gave me huge pug eyes that read, “screw you and your exercise, this is clearly a solid case of animal abuse”.

It’s hot. It’s sticky. And to quote a great line from a movie whose title I can’t remember and don’t care enough to research – “we must be a mile from the sun”. Take it easy on your runs everyone, unless you live somewhere significantly cooler – in which case, I need to visit you immediately.

3 comments:

  1. My wife and I are thinking of doing that 7K, too. I'm not expecting much relief from the heat, though. We've done the Harrisburg Mile a few times and it's always brutal.

    We can hope, though!

    Also, I know you like zombies and running. May I present:

    http://runforyourlives.com/

    I'm debating it. Price is steep and it's a little close to my next big race, but sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping the shirt is worth suffering in the heat for then....hope you see you guys there!

    that's CRAZY, I actually was .02 away from signing up to run the runforyourlives.com race, but it's the day before my mini marathon in Myrtle Beach so logistically it won't work. I was completely bummed because it would have fulfilled my zombie run requirement. Damn it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that Brian mentions a zombie run, because I just read about another one!

    http://undeadrace.com/

    ReplyDelete