Monday, July 11, 2011

Trailing behind

The 5 mile trail loop at Lake Redman yesterday actually proved to be a very satisfying and mentally invigorating run. I was weary of trail running since my last endeavor, but when you actually take enough water and wear appropriate shoes, running on a trail is pretty enjoyable. We woke up around 5:30 a.m. so we could be on the trail by 6:15 and not subject to unbearable humidity during the run. The loop was challenging with little opportunity to simply “coast along”, and I’m still struggling to regain all the fitness I lost after plantar fasciitis sidelined me for months. I briefly considered taking pictures of myself on the path to post on here, but then I remembered that I hate pictures of myself so that didn’t really pan out. You’ll just have to mentally picture the looming trees, a serene lake, and an out of breath girl feigning an unnatural interest in rocks on an incline while hikers passed her.

My two biggest obstacles with this trail run were the varying elevation and difficult terrain. The translation: my two biggest obstacles with this trail run were the ungodly amounts of steep inclines and the crazy narrow footpaths up these majestic inclines. The Alabaster Runner has a really annoying tendency to omit elevation stats for any runs that he plans, which has consistently resulted in the most bitching hill work possible. I don’t know if he does this on purpose since I haven’t fully professed my love for all things hilly, but after the second or third never-ending incline on this trail – I announced (to no one in particular) that his running mapping privileges would be revoked. At one point he tried to assure me that an incline was coming to an end and I muttered back something like, “well it has to - only Mount Everest would continue going at this point”. I need to curb my attitude on hills, it’s a 12 step program.

With that in mind, I have to bow down to the veteran trail runners out there because running with uprooted stems, skinny paths, and jagged rocks is no joke. I kept my eyes intensely focused on the ground, just waiting for the tree root that would trip me, break my fragile femur bone, and end what some would call the greatest running career of all time.  We started our run early enough that we only came across two other runners coming from the other side and after we all passed one other, I got to thinking about how trail races even feasibly exist. There were spots on that run that were so mind boggling narrow an Olsen twin would have to suck it in to get by; how are there races solely on trails where passing someone isn’t tempting death? I need enlightenment.

Being off the road and covered by shade was a delightful change from running on pavement with nothing between me and the sweltering rays of the sun. For the last .5 mile we ran directly beside the lake with an unobstructed view of the water, completely peaceful and definitely worth the inclines. I think we are both in agreement that we want to work in more trail runs into our regiment since we have access to some beautiful parks. The A.R. even said that after the run he felt more energized and alive than he had felt in awhile – exactly 45 minutes later he tried to go back to bed. That’s my superstar!

4 comments:

  1. So this sounds a lot more "traily" or adventurous than the Rail Trail. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful out there...we don't want to read any sad stories about the career of one of the all time great runners going down the drain due to a fragile femur bone injury! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would like the trail at Lake Redman, it's not flat and provides a challenge. Or maybe it really is easy and I'm just horribly out of shape. I'll get back to you on that.

    Thanks Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you desire to improve your experience only keep
    visiting this website and be updated with the newest information
    posted here.

    Have a look at my website :: nike doernbecher freestyle 2012

    ReplyDelete