Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I demand a race time, or just cash.

EDIT: I just saw the results and I actually placed third in my age division with my worst 5k time ever. I'm so happy I could kick puppies!!!  http://yorkgoldstarrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ENTRIES.WINNERS.2011.pdf

I’m the first to admit that I have no idea how hard it is to put on a race of any size. I briefly considered starting a 5k in my area, but after realizing that it involves a lot more effort than I was wanted to put in (I was only willing to send out one email), I nixed that little plan. So I respect every race director and the tireless dedication that goes into planning a competitive event.


That being said (ahem)- when you state on the website to post race times up the next day, I would hope to see my world record breaking time up there the next day. I ran a local 5k on Memorial Day and despite the unexpected mountain I had to run up at mile 2 (I can’t reiterate how much I need to do race research before slapping down my registration fee), the race was wonderful and it felt good to complete another race without any pain. Although a 5k isn’t my favorite distance, seeing as speed is the key factor in that event, completing any race at this point colors my world in roses. (The Alabaster Runner, his brother, and myself have signed up the Myrtle Mini Marathon in October – I’m not ashamed to say it was a decision made solely because of the honking big finisher’s medal). 

I have a rough estimate of this race time, my PR for a 5k is 25:47 and I knew with having some lingering knee issues and just starting up running again, I wasn’t going to be breaking that PR time. I was shooting for sub 30 and considering that I was looking for a swift (and inconspicuous – those volunteers were eyeing me like a villian) exit at the bottom of the hill, I’ll take anything even close to 30 minutes. So cut to today and I’m refreshing the results page like I don’t have an actual job I should be doing, and still no results.  

Realizing that I was getting unnaturally agitated about the missing results (to be fair, they still have six hours to post to remain in compliance with their website statement); I’m going to give myself a 5k time until I see something otherwise.



Theresa S.                   Female                        Age-27                        21:18



Holy dukes! I PR-ed with a 21:18! (Maybe I can live without factual results).


2 comments:

  1. Small world. I ran the Gold Star Memorial 9-mile training run that morning that set out in the other direction from the 5K (Bad, bad idea!) and I also ran the Shamrock Marathon (Worse, worse idea!) as my first.

    I agree w/you about getting race results up quickly -- it seems lately that anything I run w/o chip timing takes forever for results to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian - The 9 mile training run for York Memorial Day wasn't all that is was cracked up to be? And did you have a horrible case of PF for the Shamrock as well, or was it something else?

    ReplyDelete